Nanea's Holoku Dress


I love this beautiful Holoku dress. This type of dress has been worn in Hawaii since the 1820s.  A long sleeved, yoked, loose- fitting floor-length dress without a waistline, the Holoku- today is nearly identical to the original design and is worn for mostly formal occasions.




The Holoku expresses reverence for Hawaiian culture by showing the styles popular during the days of the Hawaiian monarchy. It is still worn today in modern Hawaii.

Nanea is also wearing a maile lei, or lei made from maile leaf, worn for special occasions and an orchid hair clip. The maile  leaves are believed to protect the wearer, bestow good luck, and even possess healing powers. 





                                                      Mahalo Nui Loa



Comments

  1. Such a cool blog! I have Nanea, one of my favorite dolls. Don't worry, you're not the only small AG blog out there!!! Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I love your blog. I added it to my links list. I want to learn all about Nanea and Hawaii and find others who do also. I can't wait to start reading all her books.

      Delete
  2. I love Nanea's Holoku Dress too. Also welcome to the American Girl blogging community I am Quinley nice to meet you.
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quinley - What's your blog? So nice to meet you!

      Delete
    2. My blog is: https://qs-creative-corner.blogspot.com/

      I hope you enjoy reading it.
      -Quinley

      Delete
    3. I just added your blog to my links!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kanani's Shave Ice Treats

Nanea's 6 Month AG Release Anniversary